Monday 18 March 2013

Weekly Reflection #4

  To start this reflection I really enjoyed doing the six word memoirs. Although I struggled with some aspects of it, it was overall a fun project to take part in and I learnt about new writing techniques that I did not know about. I believe that for myself the writing portion was the easier part of the two things. I found connecting the pictures to the words was the hardest part because for some of my memoirs, the writing was immensely hard to connect to the pictures. When I did find the perfect match of words and picture I was able to elaborate easily on my pictures. You can tell by my writers notes which memoirs were my favourite because I was able to easily expand on my ideas, and the paragraphs of description just flowed. What I learnt about using this microform of writing is that there is a lot you can say in a small amount of words. If you like the topic you are writing about, you have a lot of possibilities to say in a very small amount of words. I was surprised about how easy the words came to me for this project, and surprised how hard it was for me to connect pictures and words together. I thought it would have been really easy, but it was pretty hard. I learnt that I am a thinker and I have a million ideas running through my head at one time, but as a writer I like to elaborate a lot on my small ideas. This is why this project was difficult for me because I am used to writing pages on one small idea but in this project I was restricted to 6 words, which tested my ability to get to the point. I'm really enjoying this course, thus far. I think it is bettering my writing abilities which will help me later in life, and I will have the ability to expand my writing from a  basic essay in university. I really don't have any questions, concerns or sources of confusion for this course.

   In the blogging field trip we took, I commented on things that looked interesting, or that made me ask questions and anything that caught my eye. I found it really difficult to comment, because I did not want to give anyone constructive criticism, I felt that I should not be critiquing on work that someones worked hard on! I just wanted to leave nice comments, being a cheerleader and telling them 'Good job!'. I know this is not a great comment, but it gives people a bit of a confidence boost. A good comment, when commenting on a blog, is a comment where you comment on what you liked about the picture, and than ask a question, or say something that you would do differently. That would be the ideal response. A bad comment would just be a comment where all you said was 'good job', or 'I like the background'. It would be a bare bones comment where you are placing the minimal effort in and not asking questions or elaborating on the topic. Some benefits to commenting on others blogs is that you get to look through other blogs and get ideas for your own blog. Also you are able to tell a classmate or another person what you like about their blog, and give them feedback so they can improve even more on their blog. Lastly some good things about getting comments on your blog are that you getting feed back on your work, hearing peoples likes and dislikes and things they would improve on or change. By getting these comments you are able to improve on your blog and make changes that will make your blog more visited and more liked!

Book: Mercy
Author: Jodi Picoult
Pages Read: 1-111

  I just started the book Mercy, and so far I think it is really good, it is a very serious book, but with more happy notes to it than the last book I read. This is the first Jodi Picoult book I read, and I really like her as an author, she goes into great detail in her writing, and I already know a lot about the characters in my book. The first question I had in the book was why Jamie MacDonald killed his wife Maggie MacDonald. As I continued to read on I found out that Maggie had a terminal illness and she did not want to live on as a vegetable and that was why Jamie had killed her, along with the fact that he did not want to see her that way. My first question was answered right away, but my second question has yet to be answered, my second question is Cam MacDonald, who is married to Allie MacDonald is having strange feelings in regards to his relationship with his wife. He feels almost as though he could have done more if he did not stay in the town they are in. My question is did he always feel this way about Allie, and if he did, why did he marry her. This question has yet to be answered in my book, but I'm hoping it will soon because I really want to know the answer to this. Lastly I made a comment in the book, the comment was, according to Allie her relationship with Cam is good, just going through a few bumps, I just hope that no one tears it apart. I am really enjoying this book and I hope it continues to be as great as it is in the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment