Monday 8 April 2013

Weekly Reflection #5

Book: Mercy
Author: Jodi Picoult
Pages Read: 112-218

  I had my first text to world connect during this weeks reading, it has to do with the topic of  'mercy killing' and prior cases that have gone on in Canada. In the book Mercy, Jamie's wife has asked him to put her out of her misery as she has terminal cancer. This connects to what is going through the Canadian Legal system at the moment. Gloria Taylor has had a long battle to prove that she has the right to die on her own terms, and that 'mercy killing' should be legalised. Her legal team is still fighting for this right, but Gloria has since pasted. In my law class we have  discussed cases such as the Robert Latimer case, as well as the Sue Rodriguez case, this is how I made this text to world connection.
  I also had a comment that has been in my head throughout this weeks reading and last weeks as well. The comment is how angry the character Cam makes me. He makes me angry because he is so unfaithful to his wife. He believes he is justified in doing this and that he will not get caught. I believe he is completely wrong, and it is never right to cheat on a significant other, especially a spouse, whom you've been married to for a number of years. There is no excuse to justify this action. I have debated to stop reading the book because it makes me angry that Cam continues his cheating ways, but I have decided to continue reading and not abandon the book because one character upsets me. I hope that he will realise that what he is doing isn't fair to his wife or his mistress and ether come clean and leave his wife, or stop the cheating all together. Out of this comment I have made a prediction of what will happen with Cam, I believe Allie (his wife) will catch Cam and his mistress in the act, and that will result in Cam and Allies marriage ending. I was hoping for a happy ending to this book but I don't believe I will be getting the happy ending I was looking for.
 Another prediction I made reading this book is that Jamie will win his case, and not be convicted. I believe this because Allie has found a lot of evidence to prove Jamie would never commit such  a crime unless is was justified. I really hope Jamie is found not guilty. The way the author has written this books really makes you route for Jamie and hope he is able to move on with his life. That is why I made the prediction that Jamie will be found not guilty and win his case!

Writing Reflection:
  I really enjoyed doing the newspaper blackout poetry, I thought it was an interesting twist on poetry, and it was something I had never seen before! I struggled in the beginning to find words that flowed well together, and still made sense, that was the hardest part at the beginning. I switched to magazines instead of newspaper articles, and I immediately found it easier to connect the words, it almost began to fall into place. I had made about 5 poems in a matter of a night, and it all began to flow. It was a nice way I found to express myself, and I may begin to write newspaper blackout poetry on my own time as a way to express myself, and a creative outlet. What I found so unique about this style of writing, was if you were stuck for an idea, you wouldn't just have to sit and look at the paper. With newspaper blackout poetry, you could just read the words in a different way, or a different sequence, and it could make sense. What I learnt about myself as a writer is I prefer to use other words and make them my own. As a thinker my ideas I believe are very random, and all over the place, but I have to have them very organised to be happy with my work. I really enjoyed this style of writing, I prefer this over the six word memoirs. I preferred these because I didn't have to add the element of a picture to this assignment, the visual in this assignment was the black background behind the words. I thought it was a great way to connect, and it was a completely new way of writing to me. I thought it was a fun project, and this is where I think I became most creative in my writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment